2015 was good to me and 2016 will be no different. It is going to be another great year and I have a lot planned. When you’ve got a mind that wanders and endlessly dreams up the perfect travel itinerary, it’s good to have goals to reach for that are realistic and exciting. For me personally, I’ve also got to make sure my goals are financially viable as I will be completing my final year of university and have a tight travel budget. So with the new year on our doorstep it’s time I share my goals in travel for 2016.
- Five weeks in Europe – This is the most expensive goal on my list but the easiest to achieve because it’s already planned and booked! In April I will jet off to Europe to return to some of my favourite places, catch up with friends, and to seek out new experiences. The focus of this trip is slow travel. I have been to Europe before but whizzed through too fast so this time I’m taking it slow for a deeper experience in each place.
- See more of Sydney – I live about an hour out from the city’s centre and I do have my favourite places I like to visit but I thought I would set the challenge to view Sydney like a tourist does and make the most of what this beautiful city has to offer. I know there is so much more to see and do that I haven’t yet experienced in my home city so I’m very keen to fulfil this goal.
- Go camping – I’ve been threatening to go camping again for so long that I thought I better make it a goal to achieve that way I might actually go! I developed a love of camping when I was younger and used to holiday with my family. A big appeal is that camping is very affordable, especially for a student like myself.
- Improve photography skills – I have finally upgraded from my point and shoot camera to a compact system camera. The Canon EOS M3 is the perfect fit for me as I wanted to upgrade but didn’t want to go all out and purchase a DSLR when I don’t know how to use one. In 2016 I want to improve my photography skills and learn more about my new camera. I am determined to not rely on just the auto setting!
- Learn some basic French – I’ve wanted to improve on my French language skills for quite some time so this year this goal better stick! I’m not sure why French, I just feel drawn to the language and have the need to learn it. At the very least I would like to have learned some basic phrases and conversation by the end of the year.
- Take an interstate trip – I feel that this goal is a bit ambitious given my time and money constraints but I’ll leave it on here as something to aim for. Ideally, I’d love to go back to Melbourne for a weekend but if the sales are on and the price is right I’ll fly anywhere.
- Take a hike – This particular travel goal coincides with my own personal goal to improve my fitness level. Hikes are a great cheap activity to do no matter where your destination and it keeps you fit while doing it. So by that logic keeping fit = cheaper travel. Definitely a goal worth sticking to!
What are your travel goals for 2016?